Saturday, May 28, 2016

More Than Amazing

I am in way over my head. That thought comes to me on a regular basis these days and although it is a bit scary, it is a very good thing. I pray that I stay in over my head so that I will remain desperately dependent on God. Most of the time this desperate dependence comes right after I hear the words, “They would like for you to preach”. That has definitely been the case over the past couple of weeks. I want to share two of those times with you.
We had heard about a crusade that the Mongu Pastor’s Fellowship had been planning and were very interested in attending. The local Pastors here have a wonderful relationship with each other and they put aside denominational differences and work together for the cause of Christ in many ways. We inquired about the details of the crusade with one of our Pastor friends and He told us it would be held at a location in Mongu known as Dark City. He told us it is called Dark City because of all the drug use, drinking, and witchcraft that goes on in that area. Then he said, “We discussed it at the Pastor’s Fellowship and we would like you to preach one of the nights of the crusade.”…Desperate dependent time!
It was Friday night, the third night of the crusade and the praise team was leading those who had come in a very energetic worship session. I stood behind the reed walls that I had helped put up just a few days before at the edge of an open area in Dark City. The walls were put up to give those who were intercessors a place to pray while the crusade was going on.Crusade venue
As I was standing there praying the realization of what was happening was overwhelming. I was asking God, “Why me? Here I am thousands of miles from home in a culture so very different from my own, I have no formal training in preaching, this is so big, this is so important, there are so many others who are more qualified who could be doing this, Why me?”  I looked to the heavens and saw a full moon and stars that filled the sky with a brightness which lit up the Zambezi floodplain before me and I was once again reminded of the greatness of our God. Now I was no longer overwhelmed by the magnitude of my situation but overwhelmed with the magnitude of my God. He spoke to my heart saying that it is not about who I am, it is all about who He is and that it is not about what I can or cannot do, but what He wants to do and will do. About that time someone came to me and said it is time for you to preach. They also told me that the pulpit was to far from the people and that I just needed to come out front and preach. So much for the notes I had prepared. I took the microphone and felt led to say, “To the rulers, authorities, and principalities of darkness. Consider this your eviction notice. The children of God have come to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ and tonight the captives will be set free!”  I continued the with my message on Jesus is the way and concluded by saying if anyone is tired of being a captive, if they are tired of their addictions, if they are tired of being in bondage to darkness, tonight Jesus is telling them, He is the way. Before I could even finish saying that a young man was standing before me and as other began to come to the alter, I could see that this young man was truly being broken by the Holy Spirit and I closed my eyes and began praying for him. When I opened my eyes there was a large number of people standing before me with their heads bowed and their hands lifted in surrender to the Lord.Crusade
That night a young lady surrendered the items she had with her that she used for witchcraft and a man came forward surrendering the drugs he had on himself both giving their lives to Christ. It was more than amazing because I new God had done it all. 1 Corinthians 2:4-5″ And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.” Praise God!
Stay tuned for “More Than Amazing Part 2”

ONE THOUGHT ON “MORE THAN AMAZING

  1. It is great to see your willingness to be used by God and the results from that commitment as God uses you to reach his children. God is good.

Leave a Reply 

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

No comments: