Sunday, July 20, 2008

Hell is in the Bible Grandma

I worked with a new temporary employee for the city on Friday. As I talked with him, I mentioned something about my time in Zambia (There is a real shocker:). He told me he was always scared of a preacher man. I wasn't for sure how to take that, but he went on to say he could probably handle it now that he was trying to get his ducks in a row. I proceeded to tell him how I chased ducks for a long time and could never get them in a line until I found Jesus and that any duck rows I had were all being held together by God and not me. He said that his grandmother was the only person of faith and source of religion in his family.He said she was practically her own church. He told me he used to aggravate her by saying "Hey granny Hell is in the Bible." "Did you know the word Hell was in the Bible Granny?" "I can say hell because it is in the Bible." He said she would finally say "Boy, you better shut yo mouth, you just wantin' to cuss!" She told him "Ass was in the Bible too, and he was acting like one."
I just happened to think later that there are a lot of things in the Bible that we just like to say, because it sounds good, or we know it is what we are suppose to say. Sometimes we are not too unlike a young child just saying things out of the Bible because we can, yet we have no more impact on our walk with God than saying "Hell" and then snickering. How about, love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength and with all your mind, and love your neighbor as yourself. Oh we can spout that off in Sunday School like a kindergarten kid who just mastered his ABC's, but do we really mean it or better yet practice it. I will confess that loving my neighbor as myself is a real challenge to me. I am not talking about the people next door, they are fine people, and it is not that I am overly in love with myself.(Although who could blame me.) It is just that we all tend to focus more on self, than on God and others, so we can quote that verse all day long, and it will not make a hill of beans difference unless we realize what that verse means, and act upon it. The Bible is full of great quotes and warm fuzzy feel good stuff, and we can quote them all day long, but if we are not putting it into practice, we are doing nothing more than saying "Hell is in the Bible, Grandma."

No comments: