Thursday, July 31, 2008

Air Guitar

This afternoon we were watching a highlight video from McKinley's baseball team, and the parent who put it together, put music to the video. One of the songs was by Van Halen, and as Eddie Van Halen played his face melting solo, I pulled out my trusty old air guitar and played along quite masterfully I thought. I was quickly pulled back down to earth by the cutting words of my 13 year old son, "Dad, Quit being lame!". It is official. I am no longer cool. I guess it is time to retire the ol' air guitar and start driving 10 miles per hour under the speed limit and start saying things like "Maybe I just need more fiber in my diet."
On a side note. The other day i saw a short story on the news about the Air Guitar national championships. I had no idea there was such a thing. I couldn't help but wonder if people actually took air guitar lessons, or go to an air guitar store. Can you imagine being backstage at such an event and hearing "Mr. Smith you are up next." and a guy dressed like the lead singer of Loverboy saying "Oh my gosh, I cant find my air guitar. I sat it down somewhere over here and now its gone!" I wonder if the winner got an air trophy or the real deal.
I think maybe sometimes we have air guitar worship. We can go through the motions and really think we are doing something, but in reality we are just being lame. There is no real substance. Just like an air guitar makes no noise, neither does empty worship. When we worship it should be as beautiful and genuine to God as Mr. Van Halen's ax grinding is to me. It is pouring yourself out before God. Giving Him your very best. Realizing who He is and what He has done for you and His everlasting love for us. Only then do we set down that air guitar and pick up that Fender Strat and start making a joyful noise.

No comments: